Lawyer's Center by Henry

« Back to Home

Injured On The Job? What To Do When Your Employer Won't Help With Your Claim

Posted on

If you're injured on the job, you might worry about how you'll provide for your family while you're out of work. Thankfully, worker's compensation insurance provides payments to workers who get injured at work. Once you're injured, your employer submits an injury report and the insurance company uses that information to start your worker's compensation payments. 

Unfortunately, there are times when an employer won't submit the necessary paperwork. If that's happened to you, you might think you're out of luck. That's not the case though. You can still get the compensation you're entitled to. But, you do need to take some extra steps. If your employer won't help you get your worker's compensation benefits, read the list provided below. Here are four things you need to do right away. 

Follow Work Reporting Guidelines

Is your employer dragging their feet about your injury claim? Be sure you followed the reporting guidelines. Your employer might require a written accident report. If that's the case, put your accident report in writing. Then, submit the form to your human resource department. Be sure to submit a copy to your employer. If you've already done that, repeat the process one more time. Keep a copy of the accident report for your own records. 

File Report With the State Board

If you haven't filed a report with your state's worker's compensation board, now's the time to do that. File a report with the state worker's compensation board. That can help get your claim jump-started. That's because the state board will contact your employer as soon as you file the report. In most cases, this should get your employer to take action on your behalf. 

Get Medical Help for the Injuries

If your employer isn't giving you the help you need with your accident claim, don't postpone medical care. In fact, you want to start your medical care as soon as possible. That way, you have a complete medical record you can give to the worker's compensation provider. Be sure to keep any medical bills you get. Worker's compensation will reimburse you once your claim gets processed. 

Hire a Workers Comp Attorney

If your employer refuses to submit your worker's compensation claim, it's time to hire an attorney law firm — such as The Dennis Law Firm. Your attorney can file a claim against your employer. This process should get them to take action with your worker's compensation claim. Be sure to give your attorney copies of your accident report. You should also give them any other documents you have about your accident.