Lawyer's Center by Henry

« Back to Home

Collecting Child Support Through A Private Process Server

Posted on

The child support system is designed to provide children with a stable environment in which all their basic needs are met, but not every father is as supportive as he should be. In order to file a successful child support petition, you must first serve the father of your child with service papers informing him of his responsibilities. But when the father cannot be found, what can you do to move your case along? The fastest, easiest and safest solution is typically to hire a private process server for your case. 

Attempting to Locate the Other Parent

Before hiring a private process server, you should make a reasonable effort to contact the father of your child at his last known address or workplace through your local law enforcement. Unfortunately, if the information on the father is outdated, it may take months or even years to find and serve him his papers. When law enforcement and the court system fails, it is time to turn to a private enterprise for a more efficient solution. 

Hiring a Private Process Server Through Your Attorney

Once you have decided to hire a private process server, speak to your attorney for recommendations and the necessary paperwork that needs to be served. Coordinating through a legal representative is preferable to avoid any critical mistakes and ensure the process goes smoothly, and also to minimize any personal conflicts that can muddy a legal case. When child support cases get contentious, placing several buffers between yourself and the father is often a wise move. A private process server will take readily available information about the father to track down his whereabouts and serve him the papers officially. 

Establishing Paternity

If the alleged father of your child is not only dodging child support but also denying his paternity, a private process server like Cooper Process Service LLC can also administer paperwork for paternity testing. This can establish the identity of your child's father with legally admissible evidence, but, like child support, he must first be compelled to do so legally if he isn't volunteering. Depending on the laws in your state, you may need to serve the paternity suit first, or you may be able to combine it with your child support claim.  

Submitting Proof of Service

Once the father has been tracked down and served, your private process server should put together the necessary documentation and submit it to either the court or your attorney for approval. From there, the responsibility of compliance falls to the father, who may face severe legal ramifications for ignoring a summons or have his wages forcibly garnished. With a little help from a private process server as well as some persistence, your child should receive the support he or she needs to lead a happy and successful life, and you should be able to breathe a little easier with the court case behind you.